How to Apply Visa Holand

Visas and Permits

To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, you might need a visa and/or a residence permit.

Whether you need a visa or not, depends on:

  • Your nationality – as stated on your passport.
  • The duration of your stay: shorter or longer than three months.
  • Your purpose of stay: we assume that you will come to Holland to study or to do a preparatory year

When you enrol in a study programme, your host institution will contact you to start up the application procedure. If not, ask for help by contacting the department dealing with international student mobility. Usually this will be the institution’s international office.

Types of Visa

Depending on your nationality, you might need a visa to travel into the country. For stays of up to 90 days, this visa is called a ‘short stay visa’ or ‘Schengen visa’. For stays longer than 90 days, this is called an entry visa (MVV) and is always followed by a residence permit (VVR).


The visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in the Schengen area. Sometimes the visa is limited to a single country (for example Holland only) or a few countries (for example Holland, Belgium and France). In that case, the visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country or these particular countries.

With a short stay visa your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

An entry visa is also valid for only 90 days and is meant to be followed by a residence permit for a longer period of time.

Entry Visa / Authorisation for Temporary Stay (‘MVV’)

All non-EU/EEA students entering the Netherlands will require an Entry Visa (‘MVV’), except nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, the USA and Vatican City State. This Entry Visa is a sticker that is placed in your passport and is issued by the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

Residence permit

All those who enter the Netherlands with or without an Entry Visa (‘MVV’) and who wish to stay for a period of longer than three months, are obliged to apply for a ‘Verblijfsvergunning regulier’, or ‘VVR’ (a Residence Permit). The Immigration Officer will send the application to the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Service (‘IND’) on your behalf. Your Residence Permit will be ready soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.

Documents required to apply for Dutch Student Visa

  • A passport with validity of 1 month beyond date of completion of course
  • Letter of acceptance from University in Holland
  • Evidence of enough funds to study and live in Holland
  • Transcripts of previous academic achievements.

Standard Financial requirements for Student Visa and/or Residence Permit

As a non-EU national entering the Netherlands to study, you may need an entry visa and/or a residence permit. To obtain these you must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your entire stay.

  • The Dutch Ministry of Justice has set a standard amount of € 854.13 per month for this purpose (at least € 11,000 for a 12-month stay). If you also wish to apply for a permit on behalf of your partner and/or children, you will need a minimum of € 1375.18 per month (valid on 1 June 2015- subject to annual change).

Important note: These standard amounts do not include tuition fee costs. You are expected to have the amounts stated above at your disposal in addition to sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees.

Proof of Sufficient Funds

The following means are accepted as proof of sufficient funds:

  • transfer of funds for living expenses (preferred)
  • bank statement
  • scholarship letter.

Visa Fees

Please transfer the following legal fees to University’s bank account /credit card payment (only for visa/residence permit fee) before the deadline stated in your admission offer:

  • € 307 (2015) to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit
  • € 154 to extend a student residence permit

Registering with the Council

If you are staying in the Netherlands for more than four months you will need to go to the city council and register as a new resident of the town where you are living.

Registration regulations may vary from one council to another. It is best to contact your higher education institution or the council directly. They can tell you the exact registration procedure, including which documents you need to hand in (such as a valid passport, your rental contract and so on).

Translate »